My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Just Say No to White on White


Occasionally I have people ask if I have any "white on white" fabric. White on whites are exactly what it sounds like, they are white background fabrics with a white pattern overlaid. (see picture) Most of the time, the pattern is stamped over the fabric instead of dyed or woven into it. These fabrics are easy to identify because if you run your fingers over them, you can feel the texture of the stamp. Joanne's carries a large selection of such fabrics, which tells you something about their likely quality.

The stamped texture throws my quilting machine into fits. As the needle goes through the quilt, I can hear the sound of it piercing the stamped material, and it's not good! It spells thread breakage and missed stitches galore. In short, I HATE white-on-white fabric. When I see a quilt made with it, I get chills. And not good chills.

So, it's not surprising that the answer to the question of whether I have any or not is a resounding "NO!" Thus far, I haven't identified one I like. I believe that companies like Moda do make white-on-whites that are not stamped, but I haven't had the need to find out. I much prefer a traditionally manufactured print or a marble instead. Plus, my quilting machine is high maintenance and so am I. We need quality fabric!

No comments: