My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Deary Day Highlights

This past Saturday was Deary's Community Day, and being the unimaginative business owner that I am, I didn't prepare a parade float. Our friends that just took over the local saw shop did, however, and it featured a group of kids, including my own. That bug eyed creature in the middle? That would be my son. It seems that for the promise of his very own Stihl chain saw, complete with sound effects, he will do (or wear) anything!
Later that afternoon, the town held a "burn off" contest, right up the highway through town, of course right in front of the bar. It was a classic hillbilly, small town scene, with everything from show cars to mini-vans squealing their tires up the street. I must admit, I totally don't get it. As an observer, once you've seen one you've seen them all, and who wants to breath exhaust fumes and burning rubber that long anyways? As a driver, who wants to use up half the life or more of your tires in a few minutes. Have you seen the price of tires lately? I almost never like "silly" things, and this looks like the very definition of "silly" to me. I know, I'm a spoil sport and a party pooper, but nothing about this looks fun to me.

Will asked me,"Mom, what are they doing?"

"They're spinning their tires," I replied.

"Can we go home, now?" was his response to that, and I have to say, I think a tear of pride rolled down my cheek as we headed home.

No comments: