My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

So Many Quilts, So Little Time

My ultimate goal is to do at least 1 quilt every day. Sometimes I have a good run and I stick to this goal 4 or so days. Sometimes, I find it impossible to meet this goal, like the past week. It took me 4 days last week to finish 1 quilt, and yesterday I missed again, not getting any farther than the first side of 1 border.

I judge my progress by the amount of carpet I can see under my Nolting. This is where I keep all the quilts-to-be-quilted. Lately, if all the carpet in my house wasn't the same, I might have forgotten what color it was under my machine. And don't remind me about the stack of quilts (mine and my mom's) at my Aunt's house, patiently waiting since I kept my machine there when I was homeless, for the day that never comes when I can fit in a quilt of my own.

And then this morning, Bailey said the dreaded words, "Mom, we have early release today."

"What?!" Was my response, fueled by the rising sense of panic as I watched my afternoon of quilting go up in smoke. "Are you sure? REALLY sure?"

"Yep," Bailey said, and she grabbed the school calendar from my desk to prove it.

How does this happen? This is the second time in the past month I've forgotten about an early release day. Once upon a time I was one of those mothers who had the entire school schedule memorized by Sept. 1. Even last year, in the midst of the craziest year of my life as a mother so far, (yes, I know it gets worse, I don't want to hear it right now) I never missed an early release day. Thank goodness someone (Bailey) in our house is responsible these days!

So, I will be futily trying to meet or beat my quilting goal this afternoon. I must get it in gear soon. If I have to leave for vacation with this many quilts undone, not even Jamaica will prevent my mental breakdown.

No comments: