My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

What's In An Order?

I've been doing a lot of looking around at all the different quilt shops online, and I'm amazed at the variety of styles and service out there! To be honest, I'm not sure I would ever buy quilting materials online, just because the sheer variety of shops and the uncertainty of ordering from someone you've never met is so intimidating! It has given me a new found appreciation for all of you who order from me online. Thank you for your business and your confidence in my abilities. I hope I can live up to it! Now, I thought I'd tell you what happens when you place an order from my online shop. I know that I would like to know just who I'm ordering from, so maybe this will help you all out too!

When an order comes through my website, I get an email notification of it. Since I'm online constantly, at home or at the shop, I always see these within an hour. If I happen to be away, my Mom is online just as much as I am, and she sees it and tells me. Orders late Saturday through Monday will be sent out Monday (and are often packaged by me in my pajamas). You'll receive a shipment confirmation upon shipment.
If it's a business day before 4pm, I try my hardest to get the order out that day. Our mail leaves town at 4:15, and quite a few days I've been at the Post Office counter at 4:14 dropping off packages! Our postmaster probably wants to run away when she sees me coming! If it's a Saturday, I have a harder time getting it out same day, because the counter's only open for 1 hour, I can never seem to remember which hour that is, the mail leaves earlier than during the week, plus I'm usually working at the shop alone Saturday. These days, my husband usually gets to be the post office runner.
If you order more of something than I have in stock, I might do one of several things. It it's fabric, I will send whatever's left if that's what you indicate on the order. I may call you if you've indicated "cancel short items," to be sure you don't want it, especially when I'm only short by a small amount. If it's a pattern or book or notion, I'll probably contact you and say I don't have it, or that I will have it within a week. I absolutely hate not being able to fill an order, but it does occasionally happen. The website has grown enormously with my inventory, and since it's just me and my sister and mom who do maintenance, we occasionally miss removing something when it sells out.
Now for shipping costs. The domestic costs are for the most part correct at checkout. International costs are more unpredictable. If you need an exact quote before checkout, just call or email and I can get it right away for you. If I can send it for less, I will, as long as it won't take a lot longer to get to you, and as long as I feel it's safe to do so. I prefer to send USPS Priority in order to have tracking capability, but I will send something first class if it saves a lot of shipping costs for you.
If you receive a damaged shipment, I do my best to replace it immediately. This has only happened twice, ever. I can almost always send you a replacement immediately, and if not, refund your purchase.
I often send a snack pack of almonds with your order, as long as the small added weight doesn't change shipping costs. I don't put these in with international shipments, since I'm not sure about the rules of sending edibles, and don't want the post office police knocking on my door!
If you have any questions about an item or a fabric, don't hesitate to ask before ordering! I can send you samples by mail of fabrics, and I can answer any questions about particular products or patterns. I also welcome special requests and can usually order in patterns and notions I don't currently have. It never hurts to ask! (Unless you're asking What's so crazy about me?, Where's my shop hop bunny?, or how old I am!

No comments: