My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Relaxing? I Think Not!


Yesterday, I unexpectedly had the afternoon off thanks to my mom. So, I decided to hurry over to Moscow and finish up some last minute things before I leave next week. First stop on the list was a pedicure for my poor, tired feet. They are now beautiful and soft, with bright pink toe nails. Hopefully this will last longer than a few days!
The next stop was the tanning bed, in a last-ditch effort to prevent serious vacation sun burn. I have never tanned before. In fact, I wear 30 spf on my face every day to prevent wrinkles and sun damage. I'm a "burner", not a "tanner," and I prefer to keep my skin young and healthy as long as possible. However, every one has their price, and mine happens to be a sunny beach vacation.
The lady that did my pedicure told me that tanning was very relaxing. I must say, so far I disagree.
First, there was a big, very bright, neon pink piece of card stock at the front counter with the message "NEW BULBS! Be cautious, or you'll be this color!" So, already I'm a little freaked because I have the complexion of Snow White, and it's been a long, cold, sunless Winter.
The girl at the counter suggested I go with 5 minutes, saying "We've had people burning at 5 or 6 minutes before." This I do not find comforting! Then, I'm directed into the tanning booth, which is in a row of about 10 booths strung together. The door has slats in it (non see-thru), and the walls don't go clear to the floor or the ceiling. There is no lock on the inside, so I can only assume that it locks automatically once shut. So, I am still not assured or relaxed.
Since I will not be using the nude beach on vacation, I've brought my swim top along. I do not relish the thought of being walked in on naked at the tanning bed, or the thought of a sun burned chest. I press the button and lay down, trying to relax. However, every noise and every sound of a door being opened gives me the urge to look up and make sure it's not the door to my booth being opened. In the short 5 minutes, I find it impossible to relax, and my toes are not even warm when the lights go off.
When I left, I felt nothing. I am finding it sort of creepy and eerie that only 5 or 6 hours later I felt like I spent a few hours in the hot sun. As I quilted last night, my back began to feel warm, and when I went to change into pajamas, I was startled to find that my abdomen and back matched my toe nails. I even have a perfect white imprint of the tie on the back of my bikini top.
Thankfully, I am much less colorful this morning, with no soreness. I might make it back to the tanning bed before Tuesday after all. And maybe next time, I'll forget my top, because that line across my back is not so attractive. I might even be able to relax a little more. If I'm lucky, I might retain a hint of color by the time I leave for Jamaica!

No comments: