My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in Sales Reps

There are so many quilting fabric manufacturers these days, they are hard to keep track of. Usually, quilt shop owners purchase from these manufacturers through sales reps. Each company assigns the shop a sales rep that works in their geographical area. I have 4 or 5 sales reps that I can order through, depending on whether I'm looking for Moda, Troy, Maywood, Buggy Barn, etc. However, I've actually only met 3 of these reps, and only 1 stands out as outstanding.
At the recent Quilt Market, there was a line of flannels we decided we had to have. (My buying budget at Market is always "If I love it and have to have it, I buy it.") This required ordering through the manufacturer, Troy. My sales rep for Troy is a great guy, but wasn't available at the time, so he directed us to another desk to ask for help. What happened next stunned the three of us. This is how it went:

Two men are standing in the Troy booth, chit chatting with each other. We sit down at the open desk and start looking at the fabric swatches. They proceed to continue chit chatting and ignore us. My mom says "Excuse me." They continue to ignore us. Mom says "Excuse me!" louder and one finally turns around like we've just interrupted the most important conversation in the world. "Is there someone available to help us place an order?" After a long pause, one man says, "Let me go see," while the other man just stands there and watches.
Now I'm thinking "What the ---??" because, first of all, the last time I checked, these companies rely on quilt shop orders to stay in business. As a general rule, rudeness does not make me want to order from you. Second of all, since when is chit chatting more important than taking a large fabric order???
The man proceeded to walk across the booth, and talk to a woman at the other end. He returned and said "I thought she was available, but she has a scheduled appointment, so she can't take your order." Then he just pauses and stands there. At this point, I'm holding in some rude comment, Vicki's mouth is hanging on the floor, and my Mom starts to get up out of her chair to leave. "Well, I guess I'll take your order, since she's busy," the man finally decides, and sits down somewhat reluctantly.
If that damn Granola Girl fabric hadn't been so great, we would have high tailed it out of there, after giving him the tongue lashing he deserved. Instead, we ordered as quickly as possible and split. Trust me, we didn't get so much as a thank-you, and instead I'll never think of ordering from them again without remembering how rude they were.

No comments: