My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Help! I need thread!

I've spent the last couple of weeks, and some time at Quilt Market, trying to decide which brand of thread to carry in the store. I have been a die-hard Star Cotton fan for over 7 years now, but it's just not cutting the cake any more! They've changed their weight and quality, and now it won't run through my Nolting without breaking constantly. Frustrating, to say the least. It also seems to leave a lot of lint during piecing and quilting. So...I am on the hunt for a new thread.
The problem is I have no idea which one to go with. My top picks so far are:

Signature, because it is less expensive but works well for quilting in the Nolting and for piecing. It's available in various sized spools, including giant cones. It costs about $4.95/500 yards.
Mettler, because it is superior quality and works great for quilting, although it doesn't come in larger cones for the Nolting. It's also $6.70/500 yards.
Aurifil, a brand recommended to me by a friend, but comes in 1400yard spools with seem more expensive (around $10) because you're buying more at once.

So, what to do???? Please leave me a comment with your favorite threads. Give me a reason why you think one is better than another, please! Would the price of the Aurifil scare you, or do you value the higher quantity and quality? Would you be more likely to spend less and go with Signature? Help me decide. I'm having one of those obsessive compulsive urges to buy a thread display for the shop!

3 comments:

Kyra said...

Hi! I'm so glad I ran across your blog! I live in Spokane but will be stopping by during the Bee Bop Shop Hop! I usually buy Aurifil thread at my local quilt shop. It is more expensive but it lasts a long time and has NEVER broken on me. I also don't notice excessive lint. Hope that helps...can't wait to visit your shop in June!

MLEH said...

I'm also in Spokane and will be doing the Bee Bop in June. I really like Superior thread, both for piecing and for quilting. It is expensive, but it is just what the name says - Superior.

I'm also glad to have found your blog. It's a fun read.

alexveronelli said...

Hi Crazy Quilter

I am happy to see that at the end you started to carry Aurifil.
I wish to inform you also that I have add your blog The Life of a Crazy Quilter to my blogroll list
at http://alexveronelli.typepad.com/

Alex