My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Monday, January 21, 2008

Quilting Product of the Week


It's Monday again, so I'm choosing my second Quilting Product of the Week! This week, I have chosen the Fasturn tube turner. I will also be demoing this product at my Moda-University quilt club this Thursday.
At first, it may not seem like tubes come up a lot in quilting. However, every once in a while a tube is necessary, sometimes for a hanging sleeve on the back of a quilt, sometimes for a button loop, sometimes something else. It used to be that whenever a tube was called for, I was immediately turned off from the project. Who realistically can turn a 1" wide tube inside out, especially if it's very long at all? If I couldn't adapt the pattern to not include tube turning, I just forgot about it!
A few months ago I saw a tube turner demonstrated on a quilting show. I'm not sure if they were even using the same one I got, but I was intrigued because it looked so effortless. I decided to give it a try, and I ended up with the Fasturn set. This set retails for just under $40, which seems expensive. However, it was love at first turn! This set comes with several different sizes of tubes, to accommodate different widths and lengths. The first time I used it, I was turning a very long tube, about 6 feet long! It was about 2" wide. The turner turned it perfectly in less than a minute!
I used it more recently to turn a 4" long tube that was only 1/2" wide, and I remain impressed. It was effortless. As it turns the tube, it also opens the seam, making for easy ironing afterward. In my opinion, it is well worth the price. Patterns that require tubes of any size will no longer intimidate me!
If you're interested in ordering this item, please contact me through my website, www.crazyforquilting.com. Although I don't currently stock them, I can have them in about 1 week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My, what a nice blog! I am David, my father invented the Fasturn and we hand craft them here in Oregon. It is always a pleasure to find out who uses our tools! I would love to have you review other samples of our line, just give us a ring (800) 729-0280 ask for me and we can chat!
www.crowning-touch.com has more info on us. Many thanks!
David Graham