My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Friday, February 22, 2008

Help, I'm Drowning!

I took everyday off from the shop this week except for Thursday, with the expectation that I would finally make some headway into that stack of quilts under my machine. I even dared to hope that I might catch a glimpse of the carpet peaking through the mounds of batting and folded quilt tops. But alas, the universe has laughed in my face once again. Ha, Ha, Ha.

I lost track around Wednesday, when it became clear that despite taking time off from the shop, this was going to be one of those weeks that brought in more quilts than went out. That glimpse of carpet? Never going to happen, my friend! It's as if someone sent out a special bullitin, "Hurry, prime quilting time, send your quilts NOW!!! How did they find out I dared to take time off??

Wait, did I really think I was going to get "time off" from the shop? Well, if "time off" means still going in for at least an hour every day, rearranging, reordering, unpacking new shipments and packaging Internet orders, then yeah, I guess I had TONS of time off! That doesn't include the laundry I did NOT catch up on, the dusting that ISN'T done, and the solid coating of mud on my car that I have NOT had time to wash. (Yes, I really thought I'd have EXTRA time this week)

Not only was it a big quilts week, it was a big phone call week. So big, in fact, that Monte quit taking the cell phone to work at the shop with him because he was starting to feel like The Crazy Quilter's secretary. This is especially comical if you know that I normally get less than 1 call/week on my cell.

This afternoon I decided if I didn't start a list of quilts and owners, dates to be done and patterns requested, I was doomed to forget something important. The list is done, and now I am vowing to attempt to complete the quilts in the order in which they were received. Of course, something always comes up, but at least I'm trying, right?

I love what I do, really. Otherwise I wouldn't get what I do get done. Sometimes it would be nice if things just happened slow and steady, instead of in heaps and intermittent rushes. Maybe when all of my kids are moved out things might slow down, but then again, I always seem to find something. (Just ask Monte)

No comments: