My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Who's Idea is this Menu???

Since the new year, I've been trying to not only eat healthier myself, but also provide better meals for my family. So, when I actually took a harder look at the lunches I've been paying for my kids to eat at school ($100/month between the 3 of them!) I was unpleasantly surprised by the lack of apparant nutritional value. I'm sure there are state or federal regulations governing the school menues, but really, who's driving this thing? Based on my observations, I'm guessing the C.E.O's of McDonalds and Taco Time might be involved!

This is the current menu for my two younger kids: Lunch Menu. Is it just me, or do they seem to be serving a lot of french fries and fried mexican main dishes?? Bailey's menu is no better, see it here.

The calendar is covered in hamburgers, fries, fried chicken patties and nuggets, pizza, corn dogs and tacos. And since when is "Super Nachos" a MAIN dish of a balanced meal??? Most of these items I reserve for special occassions at my house, so it is disturbing to see that my kids are actually eating them every day at school! As a result, I've began packing their lunches more often than not.

This solves the problem for my family, but not for the school in general. I would be interested to know what it would take to change the trend, and bring healthier meals to the school. It doesn't cost any more for me to send healthy lunches than it does to purchase the school lunches. So, why can't the menues be changed to include healthier alternatives without raising the prices?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it wasn't my fault I was fat in school! Just kidding :). Maybe you should become a lunch lady like that chick from survivor, Denise. She was pretty tough!

Anonymous said...

I agree, Moscow is no better. Our kids have the same main dish options as yours or they can take choice, which is typically a yogurt. Since we know that kids often don't eat their side dishes, how do they expect a yogurt to sustain an 8 year old boy throughout the day. My kids are starving when they get home from school.