My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Quilting Product of the Week-Layer Cakes

This is a belated post that should have been up Monday. I am still catching up.........

This week, I am introducing Layer Cakes. Layer Cakes are Moda's latest brain child. They are basically a new addition to the family of precut fabric, ala charm squares and jelly rolls. Layer Cakes are packets of 40 10" squares. Each packet sells for $29.99.
Of course, there are now patterns designed for Layer Cakes popping up everywhere. Although I haven't found many that I love yet, more and more designers continue to join the Layer Cake movement. These patterns can be used with any fabric you can cut into 10" squares, not just layer cakes. The attractiveness of the layer cake, however, is that you get precut pieces, and in perfectly coordinated variety. It is difficult and expensive to purchase 40 different fabrics. However, in a layer cake, you get 40 different pieces easily. Like charm packs and jelly rolls, this creates beautifully coordinated quilts with very unique looks because of the variety.

I am planning to start making the Blossom quilt soon. I saw this quilt done up in a shop in Salt Lake City, and, like most, it is much cuter than the picture. For now, I've filed the "At Water's Edge" quilt (the one with the circles and paper pieceing) with the "some day" pile, since I've decided it's not worth the trouble for now.

No comments: