My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fat Free Jelly Rolls, the Best Kind!


By now, many quilters know about jelly rolls. Still, many more do not. I get a lot of questions about what jelly rolls are, and what they can be used for. I thought I'd attempt to explain here.
First, a jelly roll is a collection of 40 strips of fabric. Each strip is 2.5" wide by the width of the fabric long. All jelly rolls contain 40 strips, unlike charm packs, which vary in pieces of fabric. Each jelly roll has fabric from 1 fabric line only, so all 40 strips coordinate. Jelly rolls sell for $29.99 each. The strips are rolled up like a jelly roll, thus the name.
So, what good is a bunch of 2.5" strips? It turns out, they're a lot of good! More and more pattern designers are creating patterns for jelly rolls. Similar to the fat quarter movement, there is now a jelly roll movement! There are also several great jelly roll books out now. What's great about these is that the fabrics are already coordinated for you, plus there is much less prep work and cutting. Jelly rolls make beautiful quilts that are especially unique, since it is impossible to get such a variety without buying yardage of a large selection of prints.

No comments: