My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Monday, January 14, 2008

Yes, I Know I'm a Dork

A couple months ago I purchased an iPod, partly as motivation to exercise more and partly because I was curious about why everyone seems to have one these days. I didn't understand the obsession with them, but I wasn't as adamant as my Dad that they're a waste of time. Mentioning the iPod in front of him will start a long eulogy about how stupid some of the new technology is, a waste of money and time, the reason for all the problems of today's youth........you get the picture.
Anyways, I got one, and soon discovered that it was good for much more than exercise. Yes, I use it on my treadmill, and even found out I can download workouts to it and plug directly to my treadmill. But even better, I found, it works great for quilting! Just pop in the headphones, turn up the volume, and presto chango, no more fighting kids down the hall, no more whining, no more football, NASCAR, or Trick My Truck from the TV. Just nice music to listen to while I work!
All of this is great, but it wasn't until last Friday I discovered why the iPod is awesome, awesome enough to convert even my dad! After sitting through an hour of "Trick My Truck" and "Holmes on Homes," it was my turn for the TV and I was all set to watch Stargate Atlantis. Imagine how disappointed I was to find out our Tivo had malfunctioned, probably due to the weather, and my episode only had sound, no picture, plus it locked up when I tried to play it. Irritating to say the least since I am spoiled by Tivo and never miss a show.
I'd resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to wait until next week to watch the rerun, and then my mom said something about downloading books on tape to the iPod. Hmmmmm......that got me interested enough to go exploring itunes, and what did I find? I could download the missed episode of Stargate Atlantis and watch it on my iPod!!! I know, I'm a scifi dork, trust me Monte made that clear when I got so excited about it. Oh Well, I've accepted my "Dork" status. It didn't ruin any of my pleasure either as I watched on my iPod!
So, you're wondering how this might convert my dad? Well, while looking for Stargate I found out that also available is almost any series on The History Channel, (The only channel my dad watches) including "Ice Road Truckers," one of his all-time favorites. Plus, "Deadliest Catch." Wow! I would've never believed it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see my dad with those headphones in his ears soon!

No comments: