My photo
Welcome to my blogs, where I work to inspire and motivate others. I love sharing the art of quilting with others. I also love living a meaningful, healthy life, and teaching my children to do the same. Join me here to find out what works for me, and how you can use it in your own life!

Friday, March 14, 2008

Faster Fusible Applique

Many fusible applique projects include multiple pieces of the same shape. When fusing multiple pieces of the same shape, such as the sunflower petals in the Garden Friends border, there is a faster way to cut out the shapes. In this case, I had to make 90 sunflower petals (5 per flower, 18 flowers). Instead of tracing the shape 90 times, I only trace it 30 times, using this method.

First, divide the total shapes needed by 3. In this case, I need 90 total, and 90/3 is 30. So, I trace 30 petals onto the fusible web instead of all 90.
Next, determine a square or rectangle size that each piece will fit into. For example, each sunflower petal will fit in a 4 x 2 rectangle. Now I know I need enough fusible and fabric to cut 90 4x2 pieces.
Fuse the fusible to the wrong side of the fabric in one large piece if possible, or in several smaller pieces if easier. Then, using a rotary cutter and ruler, cut the fabric with fusible attached into the rectangles. In my case, I'm going to cut 90 4x2 pieces.
Now, you are ready to cut out your fusible shapes. Remove the paper backing from all rectangles EXCEPT the ones that actually have the shape traced onto them.
Layer the rectangles into groups of 3, wrong sides up. Each pile of rectangles will need the top piece to be one of the traced pieces, with paper still attached.

Now you are ready to cut out your shapes. Being careful that the under pieces don't move and slide around, cut the pieces out, using the top piece with the paper attached for a pattern. NOTE: for intricate pieces, such as snow flakes, it is a good idea to only cut 2 at a time to prevent sliding.

When you're done, you will have all of your pieces cut out, but have only done 1/3 of the tracing and cutting normally required.

Please leave me a question if this doesn't make sense!

No comments: